The River Birch (Betula nigra) is a fast growing deciduous shade tree.
• Likes to moist soil
• One of the few heat-tolerant birches
• Full sun and partial shade are best for this tree, meaning it prefers a minimum of four hours of direct, unfiltered sunlight each day.
• Produces brown and green catkins in April and May.
• Yields a large number of tiny nutlets after female catkins mature, typically in May and June.
• Develops a cinnamon-colored bark that curls and peels (once mature).
• Grows well in acidic, loamy, moist, sandy, well-drained, wet and clay soils.
• Approx 8 years old
• 16" tall